Friday, July 23, 2010

(too) strong passwords = less security


There are many effective ways to secure access to computer systems, but I suspect most users' access to most computer systems is still largely controlled by a password. With all of the great alternatives to single passwords out there, I wouldn't defend this fact as acceptable; rather, it's simply very common. And of course, if a user is required to utilize a password, it may be written down somewhere. Again, not acceptable, but quite common.

Not me! I'm smart. I work in IT. I've secured networks and servers myself. I would never write down my password!

So, information security professionals insist passwords should meet certain strength requirements so users don't use "password" for their password. Okay, strength requirements seem like a rational requirement: minimum number of 8 characters, includes a mix of alphas and numbers, and must be changed every 90 days. Their boss says; "Good work. It meets our audit requirements. Keep it up."

As an IT professional who generally supports efforts to secure our assets, I go along. I dutifully dream up a password and remember it without writing it down. Then, I log into the 26 different systems that authenticate me separately and set my new password. (Yes, it would be more secure to use 26 separate passwords, but I'll save my rants on the history (pipe dream) of centralized authentication and single sign on for another day))

So, those information security people figure they should make the password requirements even stronger: minimum number of 8 characters, includes a mix of at least 2 lowercase alphas, 2 uppercase alphas, 2 numbers, and 2 special characters, and must be changed every 60 days. Their boss says; "You guys are great! I can tell the auditors we're even strongerly protected!"

Groan. Okay. I dream up an algorithm to use that fits the criteria and begin setting my 26 accounts. But, three of the systems don't support special characters. Doh! Now I'm forced to do password forking. I adjust my algorithm to account for the lack of special char support and know what to substitute when I hit those systems.

So, those information security jerks figure they should make it even stronger so they can justify their job; minimum number of 10 characters, includes a mix of at least 2 lowercase alphas, 2 uppercase alphas, 2 numbers, and 2 special characters, must be changed every 30 days, and no character can be re-used in the same position for 12 months (ie: AppL#14! cannot replace 0p&n23T# since a "p" is re-used in the second position). Their boss says; "You guys are totally rad! I bet I can score a date with that cute auditor with security hotness like this!"

Groan. My algorithms are shot. I find four systems that can't support passwords over 8 chars. Of course they only partially overlap with those that don't support special chars. Now I need 4 separate passwords every 30 days.

Then, those information security jerks disallow any repeating chars (like the "pp" in AppL#14!). The interval is reduced to 28 days, so my first of the month calendar reminder no longer works. The password event starts arriving earlier each month. Their boss says; "We love you! Which certification would you like the company to pay for you to pursue?"

I find systems that allow over 8 chars, but only enforce rules on the first 8 so a special char in position 9 isn't recognized. I invest hours writing expect scripts to automate this monthly hell, but some systems are difficult to script against java GUIs -not impossible, just not worth the time.

So, they do some more stupid stuff. Their boss says; "You're promoted!"

I give up. The Post-It note goes in my wallet.

I suspect there are others that share my frustration. I'm willing to support security efforts, but at some point, they become completely impractical and, ultimately, weaken the overall security posture of the assets they are trying to protect.

Have you experienced anything similar?

1 comment:

  1. Security is not my strong suit, but I can appreciate the shape of the challenge.
    Following the health care reform discussions for the last couple of years I am aware of the problem of privacy regarding medical records.
    This impressive post is from Dr. John Halamka, CIO at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, Harvard and a bunch of other stuff.

    http://geekdoctor.blogspot.com/2010/12/what-is-our-cloud-strategy.html

    (BTW, when you outlink in blogging, if you check the box that says "open new window" the link will not take the reader away from your site. I habitually hold down the Control button when I hit a link so I don't have to wait for the new link to load or the first link to reload if I have to use the "back" button. Saves the reader a lot of time.)

    ReplyDelete